Horror tales to be posted every weekend -- for Monday viewing... unless a different date is noted... perhaps.


Monday, May 19, 2014

UNSTABLE


(Season 2, Episode 46)


Presenting:
From The Horrorwalker Travel Guide --





UNSTABLE
(Staten Island, New York) 



My name is Argos. First name only, please.

I am seventeen years old, plus 149 years tacked on for bad luck. I am 'as old as dirt', but I cannot grow emotionally past this age. That is my most vexing and oldest curse. I am self aware of the fact that I do appear to mature mentally the older I get, but I am continually prone to seventeen year old impulsiveness and a mind that is filled with too many impure thoughts. I can provide for myself... I have survived basically intact for all these years. But this existence of mine is lonely and fear filled.

Fear... of what can kill an eternal undead creature like me. Like, for example: sunlight, silver, fire, the spiritual essence residing inside the cross, garlic, the painful death by wooden stake through the heart and exposure to holy water. I have seen vampires destroyed by all of these means and none of it is pretty. There are more fearful ways to destroy the undead... but, the one I fear the most is another vampire out to destroy one of what he is.

Case in point – Andre Zubov, the  Russian vampire assassin.

I have known about Zubov for seventy three years. He refers to himself as a vampire hunter who's job it is to cull the herd to keep our numbers in check. A vampire who is known to not balance the ratio of hunted humans for sustenance with the number of humans allowed to survive the attack and turn vampire will in turn be hunted by Zubov and destroyed – both the turner and the turned. These actions by Zubov are known by vampires in general and condoned by most. Because of what we are, and what we become as our thirst for blood grows during the night, a vampire predator who is himself a vampire is a necessary evil among the evil. But, there is a caveat to Zubov's vocation... a darker side to what he does that affects me directly.

Here is my main fear – I have been warned by the WARM BLOOD UNDERGROUND that Zubov is now hunting me. Not because of the reasons I described above. No, understand this bullshit!

I was recently informed that Zubov also hunts and destroys vampires under the age 21 years old. There are no exceptions to that rule. Vampire lore, and reality, states that vampire children are perhaps the most dangerous creatures on earth. Their impulsiveness and forever lack of maturity makes them absolutely dangerous; sometimes even to other vampires. How do you control a child vampire? Often times you don't. And that frightens the powers that be in vampire sub-society. Right thinking vampires never turn a child, but just like in normal human society there are bastard asses who prey on children... unfortunately!

I live my life as a true vagabond. I can never settle down in one place because of my fear... that is now full blown paranoia. I constantly move from town to town keeping myself out of trouble and following all the WARM BLOOD UNDERGROUND survival rules. I have not one vampire familiar, even though that exiles me to this lonely existence. I am determined to continue on with my solo existence.

Somehow I have to get this missive, this pleading, to Zubov before he finds me. And find me he will. The truth is he has destroyed every vampire he has set out to track. I have heard it through the underground that I am on his short list because he knows what I look like. Damn!


What I need is THE COMPANY OF DOGS to ease this loneliness. But alas, that cannot ever be. That is a strange, and all too sad, vampire tale to be told during another time. Got to put this pad and pen away... another suspect-looking stranger is coming my way. Food for the night? Or, my hunter approaching to finish the hunt. Here we go again...

- Argos -

No comments:

Post a Comment